My Google Code-In Experience

This year, I discovered Google Code in. Google Code-In is an annual contest to introduce pre-university students (ages 13–17) to open source software development. Since 2010, over 4500 students from 99 countries have completed work in the contest and this number is increasing every year.

I thought that I would give it a go with the hope of learning something new and perhaps getting a tshirt. It turned out to be a whole lot more.

I worked with XWiki. An open source software development platform based on the wiki principles, under the LGPL license. In addition to being a full-featured wiki, it is also a second generation wiki allowing effortless development of collaborative web applications. On top of this platform a plethora of applications are developed, targeted mainly on aiding enterprise-level needs.

XWiki has an awesome community of developers and users, as well as organisation such as Amazon.

XWiki Logo

Throughout the competition, I completed 15 tasks with XWiki that taught me loads about open source software and also Java best practices. I came to understand a lot more about False Positives, Javadocs, UI tests, Maven and about open source software in general. To see the tasks I completed, see the end of this post.

I found quite a few tasks challenging as I was being introduced to new concepts, but the amazing mentors were able to help through IRC.

Thank you to all the mentors who gave me feedback throughout the contest. It really helped me to learn more about everything. Especially: Thomas Mortagne, Ecaterina Moraru, Vincent Massol, Alex Cotiugă, Clément Aubin & Eduard Moraru.

Finally, I would like to thank all the mentors for the help throughout the competition and thank you for picking me as a grand prize winner! Google Code-In has been eye-opening and I will definitely continue to contribute to XWiki. Thank you again XWiki and GCI for this amazing experience.

– Arun Pattni

 

Expect to see another blog post soon about the grand prize trip :)

 

In no particular order, here are the tasks I completed:

  • Improve 10 English text Entries
  • Fix the overflow issue in the UI of the distribution wizard
  • Fix 5 Coding Violations
  • Fix 1 Coding Violations
  • Find 5 False Positives in coding violations
  • Improve 5 English text entries
  • Fix 10 Coding Violations
  • Replace calls to deprecated APIs by more up to date alternatives
  • Create a new test case for an XWiki feature / extension of your choice
  • Become a Community Member
  • Update the XML document format of 5 committed wiki pages
  • Update the XML document format of 15 committed wiki pages
  • Fix 3 coding violations
  • Update the XML document format of 10 committed wiki pages
  • Find 10 false positives in coding violations

 

Written on 1 February, 2018